This Irish Tourist Board approved 4* accommodation is located near the picturesque village of Caherdaniel which features charming pubs like Freddies, there since time began, and The Blind Piper, which offers excellent food, traditional music and has a children’s outside play area, is only a 20 minute walk.
Fully equipped and furnished to a high standard, Gorteen has sea views from 4 rooms. The property is suitable for a wheelchair user. Families with small children find it particularly attractive that its fully equipped kitchen/dining area is connected to the sitting room. There are some of the most beautiful safe, sandy beaches in the world within minutes of the house. The property is suitable for a wheelchair user, see details below.
Gorteen is situated in the Skellig Region, an area of stunning views,diverse landscapes, rugged coastline, rolling hills and golden beaches. The area is renowned for its heritage sites the most noted being the Skellig Rocks UNESCO World Heritage Site. Other sites worth visiting is Staigue Fort an example of an ancient stone fort near Castlecove, Ogham stones or early christian settlements dotted around the region. Derrynane House and National Park, 3Kms from Gorteen,once home of the great parliamentarian and barrister Daniel O’Connell, now a museum set in magnificent gardens is ideal for children and adults to explore. The Region has a wide variety of restaurants and pubs offering excellent food and traditional music.
Find Us on Facebook
- Beaches for safe swimming
Click here to find out more about where Gorteen is located.
- Access: Gorteen which is in an elevated location, is accessed from the main road up a steep hill and a wheelchair user would need a car to leave the property surrounds.The setting down point for vehicles at the front door has a dropped kerb and there are no steps in the property. Corridors and doors conform to the required width for easy passage. Therefore it is suitable for exiting a car outside the front door unaided,entering through the front door and also for manouvering within,i.e. rooms, kitchen, toilet etc.
- Bedrooms: Sleeps up to 6 – 3 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 family bathroom and 1 en suite. All rooms including bedrooms are on the ground floor and are laid out in a way that is suitable for a wheelchair user and all main sockets, light switches, door handles are within reach of a seated position.
- Bathrooms: The ensuite bathroom has a wheel-in (level access) entry to the shower . There is a fold-down shower seat. Taps and grab rails are accessible from a seated position. There is enough space to transfer from chair to toilet safely with appropriate handrails
- Kitchen facilities: The kitchen has lowered worktops, sink and hob. Oven, microwave and fridge are at an accessible height.
The owner Josephine will be happy to help with any questions you may have or to supply images.
Click here if you’d like to view a gallery of photos.
- Luxuries: Log fire, DVD player, Sea view
- General: Central heating, TV, CD player
- Standard: Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer
- Utilities: Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine
- Furniture: Single beds (4), Double beds (1), Dining seating for 6, Lounge seating for 6
- Other: Linen and towels provided
- Outdoors: Private garden
- Access: Wheelchair access, Parking space
- Nearest beach: Glanbeg, 250m
- Will consider: Long lets and Short breaks
- Access: Car advised
- Family friendly?: Suitable for children of all ages
- Notes: Pets welcome
- Highchair available
- Adapted for wheelchair users
- No smoking at this property
- Electricity and oil used for heating are an extra charge and are meter read at the end of the stay.
- 30% of total rent required as deposit to secure a booking. Balance of rent due on arrival.
- On receipt of deposit you will receive an acknowledgement and confirmation of your booking plus key pick up details.